This just might be the perfect apple strudel recipe, and we guarantee that it’s a lot easier to make than you might think.
For the Pastry:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 large egg yolk
For the Filling:
- 3 medium apples, thinly sliced into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4–5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts (or any nut you like)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2–3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
For the Egg Wash and Garnish:
- 2 tsp cold water
- 1 large egg
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
To Make the Pastry:
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together flour and salt. Cut butter into flour until the mixture is crumbly, not fine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup water and egg yolk. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir to combine with a fork. Knead the dough right in the bowl for a couple seconds until smooth.
- Form the dough into a ball. If you wish, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. At least 4 hours is suggested when working in a hot kitchen, or up to 8 hours/overnight.
To Make the Filling:
- Combine all filling ingredients except the butter and powdered sugar in a bowl. Toss well to coat the apples.
- Filling can be made a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.
To Make the Strudel:
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Set a piece of parchment paper that fits within a rimmed baking sheet on the counter and flour it lightly. Set dough on top, and flour it lightly. Place another piece of parchment on top of the dough.
- Roll the dough out as thinly as you can, sandwiched between the parchment, so it forms a rectangle longer in length than width, about 9 inches by 14 inches. If the dough is sticking, add flour. If it’s too cold to work with, let it sit on the counter for 15-30 minutes, until more pliable.
- Place the filling in a mound in a straight line along the length of your dough. This should be like a mountain with no peaks, all uniform, pressed together compactly, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches high (see picture above for a rough idea). Dot with butter on top.
- Carefully roll parchment on sides up and over the filling, one side at a time, peeling parchment back from dough after you’ve set it. Then roll up the ends. Gently press together the seams.
- Transfer the dough with the bottom parchment to a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat together 1 egg and 2 teaspoons cold water to make an egg wash. Brush all over the pastry. Use a fork to pierce air vents along the sides of the strudel. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and fragrant.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Pastry
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: apple, strudel, dessert, pastry