Do you prefer pecan pie to pumpkin or apple in the fall? Perfect this classic dessert at home with our sinfully sweet and nutty recipe.
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 recipe Foodal’s Pate Brisee Pie Crust
For the Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups raw and unsalted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 stick (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or whiskey (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
To Prepare the Pie Crust:
- Prepare pie dough according to Foodal’s directions. Form into one large disc, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, remove the dough from the plastic wrap, and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out the dough to about 1/8-inch thickness until it will fit the base of a 9-inch pie pan, with about 1 inch of excess on all sides around the pan.
- Transfer and press into the bottom of the pie dish, fold the excess dough under the edge, and crimp decoratively. Place back into the refrigerator to chill for another hour.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 400°F. Once chilled, line the crust with aluminum foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Blind bake for 20 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350°F. Remove pie pen from the oven, and remove the pie weights and aluminum foil/parchment paper liner. It should be very lightly baked around the edges and on the inside. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes to set the bottom of the crust. Remove from the oven, keeping the oven on at 350°F. Let the crust cool slightly as you prepare the filling.
To Prepare the Filling:
- In a small saucepan, add the cubed butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar. Cook until the butter has completely melted and the sugar has completely dissolved, stirring continually with a whisk, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Lightly whisk eggs in a medium, heatproof bowl. Slowly pour the butter and sugar mixture in a steady stream into the eggs, whisking constantly. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into another bowl. Discard any solids that remain in the sieve.
- Whisk in the vanilla, bourbon, and salt. Stir in the pecans.
- Pour the pecan mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- Return to the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the interior jiggles slightly when you shake the pan.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool completely at room temperature, about 4 hours. Serve at room temperature, or chill and serve cold.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: pecan, pie, brown sugar