This pizza-like pastry screams summertime with its juicy heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, and silky ricotta on a buttery einkorn crust.
- 1 cup einkorn flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2–3 medium multi-colored heirloom tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly torn basil leaves, divided
- Balsamic glaze, for drizzling (or 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar*)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and dust a piece of parchment paper with flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and butter cubes. Using a pastry cutter or two knives or forks, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles sandy crumbles. Add the water a little at a time, stir until the dough comes together.
- Turn out the dough onto the floured parchment paper and form it into a ball. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough into a large circle, about 8-10 inches in diameter. Gently fold and press the edges to create a slightly crimped crust.
- Slide the parchment paper onto a baking sheet or pizza pan. Trim the edges if necessary. Parbake until the dough is just cooked, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully spread the ricotta in an even layer onto the crust and then season it with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Arrange the tomatoes in a layered, circular form (spreading out their colors as much as possible) and season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the pie with the oil and top with 1 tablespoon of the basil. Bake until the tomatoes are soft and the crust is golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining basil, drizzle with the balsamic glaze, and serve warm.
* To make your own balsamic glaze, place the balsamic vinegar in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat until reduced by at least half, and thickened to a sticky consistency.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: tomato, ricotta, basil, einkorn flour, balsamic vinegar