Got a hankering for a handheld pizza pocket? Savory sausage, crunchy bell peppers, and fluffy ricotta unite inside this crave-worthy calzone.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (sweet or mild)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 package refrigerated pizza dough (about 8–10 ounces), proofed at room temperature
- 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of water
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought marinara, for dipping
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add the sausage, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon of the garlic powder. Cook for 1 minute, and then add the peppers, onions, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink and the veggies are crisp-tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage mixture and set it aside in a bowl. Fold in the ricotta and mozzarella cheese, and season to taste with additional salt if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour and lay the pizza dough on top. Cut the dough into quarters. Using additional flour if necessary, roll and stretch one piece of the dough into a circular shape about 1 1/2 times its original size. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Spoon 1/4 of the sausage and cheese mixture onto one side of the dough and then fold the other half over the top, creating a half-moon shape. Using your fingers, press and tuck the edges to seal the dough.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Brush each one evenly with egg wash, and sprinkle with the remaining garlic powder and flaky salt. Using a sharp knife, make several small slits in the top of each calzone.
- Place the on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, with a little space in between each. Bake until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. Serve warm, with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Category: Calzone
- Method: Stovetop/Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: calzone, pizza, sausage, peppers, cheese