Give your pizza a flavor makeover with this sassy pie, featuring fiery Buffalo sauce-slathered chicken and a creamy blue cheese base.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 4 ounces good-quality blue cheese like Gorgonzola, divided
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast (homemade or rotisserie)
- 1/2 cup Buffalo sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 ball pizza dough (about 16 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon rough chopped celery leaves
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour to make the roux, stirring until the mixture turns a pale yellow color and becomes frothy, about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly until a smooth, lump-free mixture is created. Continue to cook, whisking vigorously until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, the white pepper, the nutmeg, and 2 ounces of the blue cheese. Whisk until completely melted, remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the pulled chicken with the Buffalo sauce. Taste and adjust with additional salt if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F and divide the dough ball in half.
- Dust 2 pieces of parchment paper with flour, and then place the dough balls in the center. Use your hands to stretch the dough into rough circles about 9 inches in diameter, sprinkling with flour if they’re sticky. Slide the parchment paper onto baking trays.
- Spread the dough rounds with even portions of the blue cheese mornay, and then top with the Buffalo chicken, 2 tablespoons green onions, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Bake both pizzas at once, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until the sauce is bubbly and the green onions are lightly charred, about 12-15 minutes. Garnish with the remaining green onions, sliced celery, and celery leaves before slicing and serving.
Keywords: pizza, buffalo, chicken