In the mood for a sizzling stir fry you can make at home? Our easy version combines juicy chicken, crisp cabbage, and crunchy veggies.
- 2 cups cubed chicken breast (about 12 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 green onions, white and green parts chopped separately (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 1 medium stalk)
- 1 cup sliced cremini, shiitake, or white button mushrooms
- 4 cups shredded green or napa cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1 cup snow peas, strings removed
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, for garnish
- Garlic chili sauce, for serving
- Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat a large, deep skillet or a wok over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the garlic, ginger, and white parts of the green onions and toss quickly for about 30 seconds, keeping a close eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high, add the chicken to the pan, and sear, tossing often, until golden-brown all over and almost entirely cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. If you’re not using a wok, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate. Otherwise, push the chicken to the sides of the pan.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add the celery and mushrooms. Cook, tossing to promote even browning and being careful not to crowd the pan, for about 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage. Season with the remaining salt and cook until the cabbage wilts, about 3-5 minutes, shaking the pan and stirring often to make sure the veggies are cooked evenly.
- If you set the chicken aside, return it to the pan. Stir in the snow peas and water chestnuts. Add the soy sauce and chicken stock, and cook for 1-3 more minutes, tossing frequently, until the stir fry is coated with the sauce and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Season to taste with additional salt if necessary.
- Divide among plates, garnish with the green scallion tops and sesame seeds, and serve with garlic chili sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Stir Fry
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chicken
Keywords: chicken, cabbage, stir fry