Do you flip for golden-brown, flaky flatbreads? Try socca! This crispy gluten-free chickpea flour pancake is as versatile as it is delicious.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt, divided
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- Place an oven-safe 10- to 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet or cast iron pan in the oven and preheat to 450°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpea flour and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Whisking as you pour, add the water gradually, and continue whisking to make sure there are no lumps. Whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the rosemary.
- Allow the batter to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the preheated skillet from the oven.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the skillet and swirl to coat the pan. Pour the batter into the pan, tilting and gently swirling the liquid around to make sure it coats the entire surface.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the top of the socca begins to turn light golden brown and the edges are crispy, but the middle is still slightly flexible, about 5-8 minutes.
- Turn the broiler on high and move the pan to a higher position in the oven. Broil until the top of socca begins to blister in some spots, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Use a flat spatula to transfer the socca to a cutting board. Sprinkle with the remaining salt, slice into wedges, drizzle with olive oil, and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Flatbread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Bread
Keywords: socca, gluten-free, farinata, chickpea flour