The classic recipe gets a tangy twist with this sourdough banana nut bread. Without being too sweet, this is a healthy snack with a tasty streusel topping.
For the Batter:
- Cooking oil spray
- Scant 2 cups einkorn flour (can substitute spelt, whole wheat, or all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 1/2 medium)
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 cup einkorn flour (or substitute)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan lightly with cooking oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour together with the salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Add the coconut oil and coconut sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until combined. Add egg and mix until incorporated.
- Add mashed bananas and sourdough starter, and stir on low speed until just combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture and the chopped walnuts to the wet ingredients. Stir just until blended.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Place the flour, sugar, and salt for the topping in a small bowl, and stir to combine. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two knives, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Scatter the mixture on top of the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.
- Category: Quick Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: sourdough, banana, bread, walnut, streusel