When you need a light side dish, this simple kale salad is sure to satisfy. Tossed with lemon and nutty Pecorino, these greens are a win.
- 1/4 French baguette, sliced, toasted, and rough chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced kale leaves, ribs removed (about 1 bunch)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- In a food processor, add the chopped toasted bread, garlic cloves, a pinch of salt, and pulse until you get the texture of fine breadcrumbs.
- In a large bowl, add the kale, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Using your fingertips, gently massage the oil and salt into the kale to soften it. Add the garlic breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons of the Pecorino.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil with 1/4 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the Pecorino. Drizzle the dressing over the kale, and toss to combine until the salad is thoroughly coated.
- Divide among 4 plates and garnish with the remaining Pecorino.
Adapted from Heidi Swanson’s 101 Cookbooks.
- Category: Kale
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: kale salad, kale, Pecorino, lemon, garlic