Tossed with a homemade vinaigrette, this warm asparagus salad is an impressive, yet simple way to get your family to eat more vegetables.
- 2 pounds asparagus, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 ¼ cups walnuts halves and pieces
- ¾ cup pitted Medjool dates, sliced in quarters lengthwise
- 2 ounces freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Spread walnuts in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 8 minutes, or until lightly golden and fragrant. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- While the walnuts are cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Place sliced asparagus in boiling water and cover. Blanch for 2 minutes, or until slightly soft and vibrant green.
- Using tongs, immediately transfer the asparagus to a large bowl of ice water. Soak in the ice bath for 5 minutes. Drain water from bowl and then pat the vegetables dry with a paper towel. Place blanched asparagus in a large serving bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the minced shallot, lemon juice, olive oil, remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Add roasted walnuts, sliced dates, and grated cheese to the serving bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Stovetop, Roasting
- Cuisine: Salad
Keywords: asparagus, spring, salad, Medjool dates, Pecorino cheese, walnuts