This fresh spring salad recipe with black rice, English shelling peas, radishes, carrots, greens, and red wine vinaigrette makes a perfect weeknight meal.
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked black rice*
- 4–5 cups lightly packed salad greens
- 2 medium carrots, shaved
- 2 ounces (about 4 whole) radishes, sliced thin
- 1 cup shelled English shelling peas (about 3–4 handfuls whole peas)
For the red wine vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Place the salad greens in a large bowl and top with the rice, then the carrots, radishes, and peas.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a measuring cup. Stir well with a spoon until the honey is dissolved. Pour over the salad (you may have a bit left over) and serve.
*If you do not have time to cook the rice and let it cool on its own, it is okay to spread the warm rice on a baking sheet and freeze it for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner