In need of a simple, yet flavorful, salad? Make a fresh arugula salad with pears, dried currants, hazelnuts, and a lemon vinaigrette.
- 3/4 cup whole raw hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups lightly packed arugula
- 2 Bosc pears
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
To Toast the Hazelnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place whole nuts on an unlined baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and cool completely. Place hazelnuts on top of a clean kitchen towel. Fold the towel over the nuts, and vigorously rub to remove most of the skins.
- Roughly chop the nuts, using a cutting board and knife, or a food processor.
To Make the Salad:
- Whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl to make the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more oil or lemon juice as desired.
- Immediately before serving, thinly slice the pears. Combine all ingredients with the dressing in a large salad bowl, and toss well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve right away.
- Category: Salad
- Method: No-Cook, Baking
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: pear, arugula, hazelnut, currant