If you need some salad inspiration, turn to this Niçoise. It’s a mouthwatering mélange of string beans, olives, and hard-boiled eggs.
- 3/4 pound fingerling potatoes (or new potatoes)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces French string beans (haricots verts), trimmed
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 small head butter lettuce (such as Boston or bibb), leaves separated
- 1 cup halved red cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces oil-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 2-ounce can flat anchovy filets packed in oil, drained (optional)
- 1/4 cup black French olives (such as Niçoise)
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water by a few inches. Bring the water to a boil, add 1 teaspoon salt, and then reduce the heat to medium. Simmer the potatoes until fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, shallots, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, and the red wine vinegar. Whisking as you pour, drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the potatoes from the pot and set them aside. Bring the water back to a boil. Prepare an ice bath in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the string beans to the boiling water, blanch for 2 minutes, then immediately transfer them to the ice bath. Remove the string beans from the ice bath after 2-3 minutes and set them aside. Bring the water back to a boil.
- When the potatoes are just cool enough to handle, halve or quarter them so they are cut into pieces of about equal size and place them in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle a few tablespoons of the dressing over the warm potatoes and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Refresh your ice bath. Gently lower the eggs into the water, reduce the heat to medium-high, and cook uncovered for exactly 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to the ice bath. Remove the eggs when they’re cool to the touch, in about 3 minutes. Peel, halve, and set aside.
- While the eggs are cooking, set out four salad plates. In a large, clean mixing bowl, toss the lettuce with a few tablespoons of the dressing and begin building your salads. Toss the string beans with a few tablespoons of the dressing and plate them. Add the tomatoes to the bowl and toss with about 1 tablespoon of the dressing before arranging on your plates. Finally, add the tuna to the bowl, toss with the remaining dressing, and divide among your plates.
- Add even portions of the dressed potatoes, olives, and anchovy filets to each plate. Sprinkle with the capers and serve with crusty French bread.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: salad, nicoise, french, egg, anchovy, tuna, olive