This just might be the best tofu recipe ever. We serve marinated and fried tofu cubes on top of a charred green bean and squash salad.
For the Tofu:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or tamari, if gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 box firm tofu
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or almond flour, if gluten-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain salt
For the Salad:
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into half-moons
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 4 cups torn kale
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
For the Tofu:
- Combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chili paste, ginger, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Mix well with a whisk.
- Drain the tofu and cut in half. Place the halves in one quart-sized airtight plastic bag. Add the marinade. Carefully seal, then shake until the marinade is evenly distributed on the tofu. Marinate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- When the tofu has marinated, drain the marinade into a measuring cup or small bowl. Reserve the marinade. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Toss the cornstarch, flour, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the cubes of tofu and toss until evenly coated.
- Heat 1-inch of vegetable oil in a large pot to 350°F. Carefully add the tofu in small batches to allow each cube to cook evenly. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until golden. Remove to a plate covered with paper towels to drain.
For the Salad and Assembly:
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add the green beans and cook for just a couple minutes, until bright green, about 1-2 minutes. Add the squash and most of the green onion. Toss occasionally, but not too often, until slightly charred, about 5-8 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Assemble the salad. Divide the kale on the bottom of four plates. Add the quinoa, vegetables, and tofu on top. Garnish with the remaining green onions, pine nuts, and a splash of the reserved tofu marinade. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: vegetarian, gluten-free, tofu, quinoa, kale