In this weeknight salad for two, the fresh crunch of leaf lettuce pairs beautifully with sweet berries, a savory blend of sauteed shallots and walnuts, and a sweet and spicy dressing.
For the Salad:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 cups chopped leaf lettuce
- 1 cup quartered strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
For the Dressing:
- In a large skillet, melt coconut oil over medium-low heat. Add sliced shallots and cook 5-10 minutes, until they are just beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Add walnuts and continue cooking to toast the nuts, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl or split onto two plates, combine lettuce and berries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients, taste, and adjust seasoning as desired. Drizzle dressing on top of salad (you will likely have some left over to use later).
Note that nutritional info below includes the entire batch of salad dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: berries, salad, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, shallots, walnuts, cayenne