If you love layering greens on a carby counterpart, you’ll flip for this whole wheat flatbread topped with salad and warm bacon dressing.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 5 ounces bacon
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces rainbow or Swiss chard (about 1 medium bunch), chopped
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a half-size sheet pan and a large mixing bowl with 1 tablespoon of oil each.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine half of the flour with 2 tablespoons of oil, the water, and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix with a fork. Use your hands to knead in the rest of the flour a little at a time, until a sticky dough forms. Knead for an additional 3-5 minutes until the dough is smooth and less sticky.
- Lightly coating your hands with more flour as necessary, form the dough into a ball. Place in the greased mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and turn out the dough. Roll until it’s about 1/2-inch thick and the approximate size of the sheet pan. Transfer the dough to the prepared sheet pan and then trim, pat, and stretch the dough until it covers the pan.
- Bake until light golden-brown and crisp, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer the flatbread to a cooling rack.
- While the flatbread is baking, place the bacon in a large skillet. Cook on medium-low heat, flipping once, until the bacon is browned and crispy, about 5-7 minutes. Set the cooked bacon aside on a paper towel-lined plate to drain, and reserve the fat in the pan. Dice the bacon after it has cooled slightly.
- In a small saucepot over medium-high heat, stir to combine 2 tablespoons of the hot bacon fat with the mustard, vinegar, and honey. Bring to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat and slowly whisk in the remaining oil until the dressing has emulsified. Stir in the bacon, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chard, tomatoes, and onions. Pour the warm bacon dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Slice the flatbread into 6 pieces, divide among plates, and top with the dressed salad. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Whole Wheat
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Flatbread
Keywords: whole wheat, flatbread, salad, bacon, dressing, honey, mustard