For a simply prepared healthy dish, try this vegan wild rice salad. Enjoy the mix of fresh herbs and veggies, with a zesty dressing.
For the Salad:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
For the Dressing:
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Melt the margarine in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Stir in the rice. Continue cooking, stirring often, until any white grains turn translucent and start to crackle and pop.
- Carefully pour in the vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat to low, and cook according to the rice package directions, or until all the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Once the rice has cooked, remove from the heat, and let stand for 10 minutes with the lid on before stirring.
- While the rice cooks, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Toss the red bell pepper, green onions, jalapeno pepper, and herbs together with the warm rice. Pour the dressing over, and stir until completely mixed together.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, rice salad, healthy recipes, wild rice