In this stunning sandwich, pungent Asiago cheese meets creamy thyme pine nut butter and meaty mushrooms spiked with red pepper flakes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup thyme pine nut butter
- 4 slices rustic bread, toasted (such as focaccia, ciabatta, or sourdough)
- 1/4 cup shaved Asiago cheese
- 1 cup arugula (or watercress)
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts (or broccoli sprouts)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the butter, and swirl to coat the pan. Once the butter starts to foam and sizzle, add the mushrooms and saute until lightly golden, about 3-5 minutes. Season with the salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes, and cook for 1 more minute. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Spread each slice of the toasted bread with 1 tablespoon of the thyme pine nut butter. Top 2 of the slices with even amounts of the mushrooms, Asiago, arugula, sprouts, and remaining olive oil. Add the top piece of toast to each, slice, and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: vegetarian, mushroom, nut butter, arugula, sprouts