A simple dish with complex flavors, easy enough for a summer weeknight! Balsamic marinated portabella mushrooms and a tangy sundried tomato pesto with artichoke hearts will make your taste buds sing.
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I just take some from the jar of tomatoes)
- 1 whole canned artichoke heart, drained
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 4 hamburger buns (good quality)
- 2 cups arugula
- Place the mushrooms in a large zip-top bag and add the balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil. Seal the bag and gently toss around a bit, then let marinate for 20-30 minutes, tossing every now and then.
- While the mushrooms marinate, place the remaining ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it comes together into a coarse pesto. I tend to like it chunky, but puree if you like it smooth.
- Preheat the grill and cook the mushrooms on medium-high for 4-5 minutes each side, until they just start to char. When they are just about finished, toast the buns on a higher rack until they are a light golden brown.
- Spread a quarter of the pesto on one half of each bun, then add a handful of arugula and a portabella. Serve with a small side salad, and enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: mushroom, burger, portabella, portobello, vegan, vegetarian, grilled, pesto