These slow-cooker chicken sloppy joes prove that family-friendly meals can be healthy and budget-friendly.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce without added salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then place in slow cooker.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine onion, tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, mustard, paprika, cumin, chili powder, sugar, and vinegar. Whisk well to combine.
- Pour tomato mixture over chicken breasts. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- Carefully remove cooked chicken from the sauce and place on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred chicken and return to slow cooker.
- Stir into the sauce. Serve on whole wheat buns.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Poultry
Keywords: slow cooker, chicken, chicken breasts, sandwich, sloppy joes