Looking for a meaty, yet vegetarian, sandwich? Make these spicy roasted portobello mushroom sandwiches with cheese and bell peppers.
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the Sandwiches:
- 5 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 ounces Camembert cheese
- 2 cups baby kale leaves
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, or 4 small ciabatta buns
To Cook the Vegetables:
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and mix together with a small whisk or fork.
- Rinse the portobello mushrooms, then use a spoon to gently remove the gills. Cut into 1/2-inch slices and place in a bowl. Add about 2/3 of the sauce to the mushrooms and use a spoon to gently toss so that they are evenly covered. Let sit for about 30 minutes while you roast the bell peppers.
- Turn your oven to broil and place the bell pepper about 1-inch away from the broiler. Cook, turning every couple minutes, until blackened in spots all over. Broiler strength can vary, so the time this takes will vary, as well. Mine took about 10 minutes total, but keep a close eye on yours.
- When the bell pepper is done cooking, transfer it to a cutting board and let cool. Once you are able to handle it, cut off the top and drain the liquid and remove the seeds. Peel off the skin as best you can, then slice into 1/4-inch strips.
- While the pepper is cooling, turn the oven to 350ºF. Grease a baking sheet, then spread the marinated mushrooms out evenly on the sheet. Roast for about 25-30 minutes, tossing halfway through, until soft. Remove from the oven but leave the oven on.
- While the mushrooms cook, slice the ciabatta bread into 4 sections, then cut each section in half through the middle to make the sandwich bread.
- Spread half of the bread slices (one per sandwich) with some of the camembert cheese. Place in the 350ºF oven on a baking sheet for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the bread is a bit toasty.
- Brush the plain bread slices with the leftover spicy sauce. Layer the kale, mushrooms, and bell pepper on top of the cheesy bread. Top with the sauced slices of bread. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: vegetarian, portobello, mushroom, roasted red pepper, chili garlic sauce