This smooth, classic pesto made with fresh basil, garlic, and toasted pine nuts is a versatile sauce you can enjoy in so many meals.
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 4 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (about 3 ounces)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- Place a small, dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add the pine nuts, and stir occasionally until golden brown and toasted, about 3 minutes. Immediately transfer the nuts to the food processor.
- Add the garlic and salt to the food processor and pulse until you have a chunky paste. Add the basil and parmesan and pulse until finely minced.
- With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the oil until the pesto is smooth and velvety, adding 1-2 tablespoons more as needed if it is too thick. Season to taste with additional salt if necessary.
- Use immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: basil, pesto, pine nuts, Parmigiano Reggiano, cheese