Craving a classic pesto but don’t want to break the bank? Try this kale almond version. It boasts the same earthy flavor without the hefty price tag.
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- Coarse salt
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small, dry pan over medium-low heat, toast the almonds, tossing occasionally until fragrant and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse the almonds and smashed garlic with a pinch of salt until finely chopped, about 30 seconds. Add the kale, grated cheese, and lemon juice, and pulse until combined, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
- With the motor running, add the oil slowly in a thin stream until the pesto reaches the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 5-7 days, or freeze in ice cube trays for individual pesto blocks.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Pesto
- Method: Stovetop, No-Cook
- Cuisine: Sauces
Keywords: pesto, kale pesto, almond, kale