There’s no need to turn to bottled products when you can make the best simple marinara sauce at home. It’s an easy recipe, ready in 20 minutes.
- 2 28-oz cans whole San Marzano tomatoes (or 3.5 lbs fresh)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil (or 1 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano (or 3/4 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, and reserve the juices.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or large frying pan with high walls over medium heat.
- Add garlic and salt. If you are using dried herbs, add them now as well. Stir with a wooden spoon until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, red pepper flakes, fresh basil, and oregano. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bringing canned ingredients to a boil and then reducing the temperature is recommended.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: marinara, marinara sauce, tomato sauce, Italian, tomato