This delicious recipe for Cheater Smashed Red Potatoes is the easy, one-pot, no-bake way to make smashed potatoes.
- 1 1/2 lb small red potatoes (about 15)
- 1 Tbsp minced shallot
- 1 Tbsp minced rosemary
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- Place the potatoes in a single layer in the bottom of a large pot. Don’t cram them – give them some room to breathe.
- Add enough water to cover the potatoes by about a half inch of water, then bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes, until they are easily pierced by a fork but are not falling apart. Drain.
- While the potatoes boil, combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the potatoes back into the pot, then add the dijon mixture. Toss to cover the potatoes.
- Use the bottom of a pint glass or other flat object to gently smash the potatoes until they burst.
- Place the pot back over the heat and cook over medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes, until nicely browned and crispy. Use a fork or spoon to turn the potatoes over one-by-one, then cook for another few minutes to brown that side.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately!
– Just for the photos, I put these in a cast iron skillet so that you could see them. I normally make them in the same pot I boiled them in, and it’s perfect!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
Keywords: smashed, red potatoes, cheater, easy, side dish