For a satisfying fall supper, pull up a fork to these vibrant sweet potatoes stuffed with tangy balsamic cranberries and wild rice.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons + 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium or homemade vegetable stock
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- Juice of 1 medium navel orange (about 3–4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons toasted shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes in several spots with a fork, and then rub them evenly with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Arrange on the foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 40-45 minutes. A sharp knife should slide right through the flesh. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the wild rice. In a medium-size saucepot over high heat, add the stock and bring it to a boil. Add the rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir to combine. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the rice is cooked according to package instructions and the grains begin to separate, about 40-45 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cranberries, and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom, and cook until the liquid has completely evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, orange juice, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. While continuing to whisk, slowly stream in the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked wild rice, cranberry-onion mixture, citrus dressing, pecans, pumpkin seeds, parsley, and sage, and fold everything together until thoroughly mixed.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them lengthwise and spoon a heaping 1/2 cup of the rice mixture into the middle of each. Garnish with additional parsley and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Baking/Sauteeing/Boiling
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: sweet potato, wild rice, cranberry, balsamic vinegar