Hearty and savory, our take on this French classic is simple enough to make on a weeknight. Try our slow cooker beef bourguignon recipe now.
- 16 ounces butcher’s cut thick bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces pearl onions (frozen if fresh are unavailable)
- 3 large carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups pinot noir
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs thyme
- Set slow cooker to sear and preheat (or place a pot on medium heat). Cook the bacon until crisp, then set aside, reserving the grease in the pot.
- Dredge beef in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Sear beef with the reserved bacon grease, browning on all sides. Remove beef and set aside.
- Saute veggies in pot with remaining bacon grease for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and saute for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and beef stock to deglaze the pot. Transfer contents of pot to slow cooker if using a pan on the stove.
- Add herbs and return bacon and beef to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs before serving.