Healthy and comforting mulligatawny stew is an aromatic recipe with a dynamic mix of chicken, fresh fruits and veggies, and spices.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped in bite-sized cubes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup split peas
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- Carrot leaves or cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot on medium-high heat. Add the chicken. Cook and flip until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes until browned, stirring frequently.
- Add all of the spices. Stir to combine, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the apples, tomatoes, rice, lentils, and split peas.
- Pour the chicken stock into the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Cover and continue simmering another 15 minutes, or until the stew has thickened significantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with a dollop of yogurt and carrot leaves or cilantro, and serve.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: English/Indian
Keywords: English cuisine, Indian cuisine, stew, soup, mulligatawny, chicken, curry, comfort food