Chase the chill away with a wholesome carrot soup recipe. This simple bowl of healthy goodness is what you need to warm up and feel full.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 whole cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and cloves, and sauté until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add 3 cups broth. Cover and simmer until carrots are very soft, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
- Remove cloves from broth and discard. Puree soup in batches in a blender (or use a stick blender in the pan). Return soup to the same saucepan.
- Stir in the lemon juice and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thin to desired consistency with more broth, if desired.
- Place soup back over medium heat until heated through. Ladle into bowls. Drizzle with cream and top with parsley. Serve immediately.
Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to reheat, garnish, and serve.
For a vegetarian version, sub vegetable stock or water for the chicken broth.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: carrot, soup, healthy recipes, clean eating, comfort food, winter recipes