When you’re craving a spoonful of comfort, a bowl of the best homemade cream of chicken soup is all you need to warm up.
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (or a gluten-free blend)
- 5 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 3/4 tsp dried parsley, or ½ tsp finely chopped fresh
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano, or ½ tsp finely chopped fresh
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken breast
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and melt butter. Saute onion, celery, and carrots until softened, for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in flour and continue cooking while whisking constantly until thick and golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Slowly pour in chicken stock, whisking as you pour to combine well. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until flour has been incorporated and mixture is bubbling lightly.
- Add salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, and rice. Stir, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thickened for about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in cream and chicken, and continue to cook for a few minutes, to heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste, as desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
Keywords: chicken soup, cream of chicken soup, cream of chicken, winter