It’s a garden in a bowl. Fresh asparagus is blended with shallots, a touch of sherry vinegar, and cream. A hint of lemon makes it tangy.
- 1 pound medium green asparagus
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock (homemade or low-sodium store bought)
- 2 cups cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Peel the cut ends of the asparagus spears about 2 inches from the bottom. Discard shavings. Cut spears in half horizontally. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat to medium-low, add the flour, and cook for about 60 seconds, stirring constantly until thoroughly combined.
- Whisking constantly, gradually add the vegetable stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- To blanch the asparagus, bring 1 cup cold water to a boil in a medium-size pot. Create an ice bath in a large bowl by filling it with about 2 cups of ice and 1 cup cold water to cover.
- As soon as the water has come to a boil, turn off the heat and add the asparagus.
- Allow it to blanch for 1 1/2 minutes, then remove with tongs or drain immediately, and transfer the spears to the ice bath. Submerge spears with tongs and allow them to cool in the ice bath for 2 minutes. Drain in a colander, pat dry, and set aside.
- Add vegetable stock mixture and blanched spears to a high-speed blender, and blend on high for 30 seconds. If you like, reserve a few spears for garnish.
- Add heavy cream, sherry vinegar, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and lemon juice. Blend on high for another 30 seconds.
- Transfer soup to a large saucepan or stockpot and simmer for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Serve immediately, garnished with lemon zest, and a few thinly sliced blanched asparagus spears if you wish.
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
Keywords: asparagus, soup, cream, spring recipe