Keep warm with a bowl of homemade cream of pistachio soup. Nutty, creamy, and savory, this recipe is the epitome of cozy.
- 1 1/4 cups shelled, roasted unsalted pistachios, divided
- 1 medium shallot, diced (about ¼ cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Remove pistachio skins and set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium heat, and add oil. Once oil is hot, reduce heat to low and add the diced shallot and celery. Cook for 8 minutes, or until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until fragrant.
- Add the sherry, 1 cup pistachios, broth, rice, and 2 tablespoons parsley to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the half and half and stir over medium-low heat until hot, about 5 minutes
- Using a countertop or immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- For a smooth consistency, pour through a wire mesh strainer and discard any large pieces. Return to the pot. If soup has cooled, reheat on the stove over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Chop the remaining pistachios. Pour soup into individual bowls and garnish with chopped pistachios and parsley. Enjoy immediately. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: pistachio, soup, lunch, vegetarian