Forgot about that bag of spinach in your fridge? It’s not too late to make a velvety, savory cream of spinach soup.
- Cook the onions in 3 tablespoons of the butter in a 3-quart saucepan on medium heat until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook for another 5 minutes, until the leaves are tender and wilted. Sprinkle in the flour and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- While the spinach is cooking, simmer the vegetable stock in a separate small pot. Once it is at a low simmer, add it into the spinach mixture and keep warm over low heat.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and cream in a small mixing bowl. Whisking constantly, very slowly pour in one cup of the hot soup until completely incorporated. Gradually add the tempered mixture back to the soup in a slow, steady stream, stirring constantly. Warm the mixture, while stirring, for a couple minutes.
- After everything is combined, remove from heat. Add the remaining two tablespoons of butter. Season with salt and pepper, and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve while warm.