From the first spoonful, you are going to want to dive face first into a comforting bowl of our flavorful curried pumpkin soup.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 45 oz pumpkin puree (three 15-ounce cans, or 6 cups chopped roasted pumpkin)
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Fresh sage, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, curry powder, coriander, and cayenne. Cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, chicken broth, and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes to develop flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender until the soup is smooth. Return to heat and stir in the milk. Simmer over medium heat until the mixture is warmed through.
- Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream.
- Serve warm with toasted pumpkin seeds and sage for garnish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Fall
Keywords: pumpkin, curry powder, soup, autumn