Make this creamy and comforting pumpkin soup you can adapt with your favorite flavorings and different types of winter squash.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups pumpkin puree (2 15-ounce cans)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion in the olive oil until lightly browned. Add the garlic, and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add the stock, pumpkin puree, and herbs. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender, countertop blender, or food processor.
- Strain the soup through a chinois or fine mesh strainer into a clean large saucepan, then return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until thickened.
- Slowly add the cream and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and mix in the salt and pepper, adding more to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with pumpkin seeds and herbs, and serve warm.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: pumpkin, pumpkin puree, soup, pumpkin soup