Delicate tofu, tender shiitakes, and green onions grace the broth of this simple miso soup that comes together in under thirty minutes.
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 8-ounce package silken tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 sheet nori (dried seaweed), chopped into large pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 tablespoons white miso paste
- 4 medium green onions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- In a large saucepot over high heat, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the tofu, mushrooms, and seaweed.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the miso in a small bowl and whisk in about 2 tablespoons of the hot stock until smooth, to ensure that it doesn’t add lumps to the soup.
- Stir the miso mixture into the soup until fully incorporated. Add the green onions and simmer for 3 more minutes. Season to taste with additional miso paste or a pinch of salt, if desired.
- Divide the soup among bowls and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: miso, soup