Tomato paste and red wine add rich depth of flavor to this beef and barley soup, while mushrooms bring earthiness.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, trimmed and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 6 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 2/3 cup pearled barley
- In a large, 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven placed over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Pat the beef dry on paper towels and then season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the beef to the pot and sear until golden-brown on all sides, about 3-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the beef pieces and set them aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, remaining salt and pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and bay leaf and cook for 1 more minute. Add the beef and its juices back to the pot.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping to release any brown bits from the bottom, and then simmer, cooking off the alcohol until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the beef stock, bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and cook until the beef is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Uncover the pot, stir in the barley, and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer again, stirring occasionally, until the barley is cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, and remove the bay leaf.
- Divide the soup among bowls, garnish with thyme, and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
Keywords: beef, barley, mushroom, soup