Greek lemon rice soup, traditionally known as avgolemono, is a creamy recipe with a tangy citrus flavor. And it comes together quickly at home.
- 8 cups broth/stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup basmati or other medium grain rice
- 8 thin slices lemon peel
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, bring broth to a rolling boil. Add rice and cook until it’s soft, about 20 minutes. Add lemon peel.
- Whisk together egg yolks and cream in a small bowl.
- When rice is cooked, lower heat to a simmer (medium-low) and slowly stir in the egg and cream mixture.
- Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Main Course
Keywords: Greek, lemon, rice, soup, avgolemono