This Italian lentil soup is so easy to make and bursting with vegetables. With its simple, comforting flavors, it tastes just Nana’s.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion (about 1 small)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8–10 cups water, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups green lentils, rinsed
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- Grated Parmesan, for serving (optional)
- Add oil to a large stockpot over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add onion and carrots. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until onions are translucent and carrots are slightly softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add dried herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add diced tomatoes, 8 cups water, bay leaf, and lentils. Stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until lentils are soft. Depending on how much water was absorbed, you have the option to add the remaining 2 cups of water to thin out the soup as desired.
- Remove lid and stir in spinach. Cook until spinach is heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve immediately.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: lentil soup, Italian, lentil, tomato, spinach