Want to embrace vegan fare? Start with something familiar like this broccoli soup packed with sweet roasted garlic and fresh herbs.
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, plus 2 tablespoons chopped for garnish
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 2 medium heads)
- 1 cup roughly chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- Fill a small saucepot with water and bring it to a boil. Add 1/2 cup cashews. Cover the pot, turn off the heat, and allow the cashews to soak for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a rimmed half-size baking sheet (18 x 13 inches) with parchment paper.
- Leave the garlic skins on, but slice off the tips.
- Add the broccoli, onion, garlic, thyme, and rosemary to a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with the salt and pepper, and toss until everything is thoroughly coated. Arrange the veggies in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake, tossing once halfway through, until the veggies are golden-brown and caramelized, about 30-35 minutes. Allow the garlic to cool slightly and then squeeze the roasted cloves out of their skins. Reserve a few pieces of crispy broccoli for garnish.
- Add the roasted veggies, soaked cashews, vegetable broth, and coconut milk to a large soup pot. Using a handheld immersion blender, blend until smooth. Simmer the soup on medium heat until it’s heated through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Season to taste with additional salt if necessary. Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with several pieces of roasted broccoli, chopped cashews, and a swirl of coconut milk before serving.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Oven/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: broccoli, roasted, vegan, soup