Our vegan rendition of sweet and spicy Malaysian laksa soup is swimming with fiery chili peppers, coconut milk, and tender spaghetti squash.
For the Soup:
- 1 large spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed (about 4 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch knob ginger, minced
- 1 minced fresh Thai chili or jalapeno, or adjust to taste
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut in half
- 2 heads baby bok choy, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
For Garnish/Serving (all optional/according to preference):
- Thinly sliced scallion tops
- Thinly sliced jalapeno pepper
- Mung bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- Thai basil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Lightly coat the inside of the halved squash with the melted coconut oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Place the squash halves cut side down on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until fork tender, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. Separate the strands from the skin with a fork when cool enough to handle.
- In the meantime, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to a large saucepot over medium heat. Add the white and light green parts of the scallions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they become translucent and begin to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and chilies, and stir for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Do not brown the garlic.
- Add the bell pepper, green beans, and bok choy, and season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Saute until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the green curry paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Gradually pour in the vegetable stock, scraping up any brown bits stuck on the bottom to deglaze the pan as you pour. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender-crisp, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in the spaghetti squash strands and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the sweet chili sauce and lime juice. Adjust to taste with additional salt and chili sauce.
- Divide among bowls. Garnish with sliced jalapenos, chopped green scallion tops, bean sprouts, cilantro, and Thai basil. Serve immediately, with wedges of lime.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Roasting/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: spaghetti squash, vegan, laksa, soup