Sweet potato and tatsoi soup is one of the best recipes to warm up with on a chilly night. It’s easy to make, with a complex flavor and plenty of veggies.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound onions, diced (about 2 medium)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 pound sweet potato, diced (leave skin on, about 1 large)
- 2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste
- 4 cups low-sodium or homemade chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder spice blend, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 15-oz can low sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4–1/2 pound tatsoi, washed, patted dry, roughly chopped or torn
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 small red Thai chili, sliced with seeds removed (optional)
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, add onions, and saute on low heat until tender and slightly caramelized, about 10-15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, add garlic and celery, and saute another 5 minutes, or until tender and fragrant.
- Add sweet potato and red Thai curry paste. Stir until the vegetables are coated and the mixture is fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth, salt, chili powder, and cayenne. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Add chickpeas and tatsoi. Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until tatsoi is wilted. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Taste and season with additional salt, chili powder, and/or cayenne as desired.
- Garnish with a few slices of red Thai chili and enjoy with a slice of crusty bread.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetables
Keywords: soup, sweet potato, tatsoi, chickpeas, garbanzo beans