Tender red lentils cooked in a soup flavored with turmeric and cumin – a recipe that’s super simple, yet hearty enough to fill you up and keep you warm.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cloves large garlic (minced)
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can peeled Roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 3 cups chopped kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the diced onions and minced garlic until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the ground turmeric and cumin and stir with a wooden spoon until fragrant, approximately 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, and red lentils. Stir well to combine. Increase heat to high, and then bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer uncovered for approximately 20 minutes, until the legumes are tender.
- Turn off the heat and add the kale, stirring until just wilted. Add the lemon juice and mix well. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan Fusion
Keywords: lentils, turmeric, kale, soup