A beautiful magenta-colored soup made with leeks and beets! This delicious recipe is full of flavor, and so good for you. Vegan cashew cream makes it delightfully creamy.
For the Soup:
- 5 medium red beets, tops removed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced leeks
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup cashew cream
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- a bunch of freshly ground black pepper
- fresh dill, for garnish (optional)
For the Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashew pieces
- 2/3 cup water
To Make the Soup:
- Heat your oven to 400ºF. Place the beets in a parchment-lined dutch oven (or other oven-safe dish with lid) and roast for about 1 hour, until easily pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool until you are able to handle them, then slip the skins off with your fingers. Chop.
- Make the cashew cream (described below).
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and shallots and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, then add the roasted beets. Bring to a boil and cook until the beets are heated through.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (in batches, if needed) and puree. Or, you have one, you can use an immersion blender right in the cooking pot. When the soup is pureed, add the cashew cream in a steady stream while blending.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the coriander, sage, salt, and pepper. Simmer mostly covered over medium heat until heated through, then serve immediately with sprigs of dill. Enjoy!
To Make the Cashew Cream:
- Boil the water (I use the microwave), then add the chopped cashews. Soak for at least 30 minutes, or as long as 24 hours (refrigerate if over 1 hour). Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Store any extra in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- I prefer the “Organics” brand vegetable broth or you can make your own.
- To save time, roast and peel the beets the night before, then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Beet, Soup, Cashew Cream, Vegan