This sensationally sour veggie soup blends earthy beets with crunchy cabbage. It’s garnished with a tangy swirl of sour cream and dill. Get the recipe now.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5 small), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound beets (about 5 small), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1/3 medium)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepot or a Dutch oven, melt the butter and warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sweat until very fragrant and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and beets. Saute until the veggies are lightly golden on the outside, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the salt and pepper, stirring to make sure everything is evenly seasoned.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the carrots, potatoes, and beets are tender but not mushy, about 20 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and vinegar, and stir to combine. Simmer until the cabbage wilts but still has some crunch, about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with additional salt and vinegar if desired. Divide the borscht among bowls and evenly garnish with the sour cream and dill.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: borscht, beets, vegetarian, soup