- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 6 sprigs thyme leaves, leaves removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 6 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut cream (optional)
- Amaretti cookies, crumbled (optional)
- Shaved pecorino cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds, toasted (optional)
- Creme fraiche (optional)
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onion and thyme, and cook for 10 minutes, until onion is soft and translucent. Add carrots, almonds, and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until carrots are very soft.
- Transfer mixture to a high-speed blender or food processor. An immersion blender could also be used. Blend in batches until very smooth.
- Strain the mixture in batches through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Discard any leftover clumps.
- Once the soup mixture is smooth, mix in cream until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide soup among 4 bowls, and garnish with amaretti crumbles, pecorino cheese, toasted almonds, creme fraiche, and extra thyme leaves. Serve warm.