When you need something extra decadent and fruity in the morning, this strawberry mascarpone stuffed French toast is the best recipe.
For the Filling:
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 8-oz container mascarpone cheese
- 1/8 cup powdered sugar
For the French Toast:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices challah bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Combine the strawberries with the granulated sugar in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight to allow them to macerate.
- Beat the eggs well in a large, shallow baking dish. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat to combine.
- Coat the surface of a large frying pan and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Place over medium heat and allow butter to melt, tilting the pan to coat.
- Soak two slices of bread in the egg mixture, flipping once, until drenched, about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to the hot pan. You will work in batches of about 2 slices at a time, depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook until browned on one side, about 2-3 minute per side. Using a spatula, flip bread over and repeat with the other side. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan between each set of slices and repeat the process, continuing until all of the bread is coated and cooked.
- In a medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar, and stir until well combined. Using a slotted spoon, add the chilled strawberries to the bowl and mix gently to incorporate.
- Spread 1/2 cup strawberry filling between two slices of cooked French toast. Repeat with remaining filling and French toast slices. Dust with powdered sugar, and serve drizzled with maple syrup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: French Toast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: French toast, Mother's Day, breakfast, strawberries, mascarpone, brunch