Layered with quinoa, veggies, and garlicky tomatoes and fennel, these spicy vegan collard wraps are a light and satisfying meat-free lunch.
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 large collard greens (6-ounce bunch), stems removed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup tomato-fennel bruschetta topping
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup firmly packed shredded carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup alfalfa, kale, radish, or broccoli sprouts
- Combine the vegetable broth, quinoa, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper in a medium saucepot. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a bowl or baking sheet to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, fill a large mixing bowl with ice and water to make an ice bath. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and stir in the vinegar. Add the collard greens a few at a time and blanch until pliable, about 30 to 45 seconds. Carefully remove the leaves from the water with tongs and submerge in the ice bath to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining collard greens, and transfer to paper towels to dry.
- On a cutting board or clean work surface, lay out one of the leaves. Centered in the bottom third of the leaf with a 1/2-inch border on either side, layer the hummus, quinoa, tomato-fennel mixture, avocado, red pepper flakes, carrots, and sprouts on top, using about 1/8 of each ingredient so you will have enough for all of the wraps. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Roll the wrap away from you, tuck in the ends on either side, and continue rolling to form a tightly sealed bundle. Repeat with the remaining wraps. Slice in half and serve.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Wraps
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan, collard greens, wrap, quinoa, tomato, hummus, sprouts