A super easy risotto recipe with asparagus and oven-dried tomatoes. Vegan and gluten-free comfort food!
- Place the vegetable broth in a saucepan on the stove. Cover and heat until very warm but not boiling. Turn heat down to low and keep warm throughout the cooking process.
- Place a large skillet (10″ or larger) over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and the dry rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice is translucent and starting to get just a tiny bit golden, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the sherry and cook, stirring often, until almost evaporated. Add about 1 cup of the warm broth and cook over medium-low heat until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, then add more broth. Stir very often – if left too long without stirring you’ll get a bunch of rice stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Continue adding about 1/2-1 cup of broth at a time, stirring, and continuing to cook until the rice is very tender.
- While the risotto cooks, rinse the asparagus well and chop into about 1 1/2-inch pieces, keeping the tips separate. Heat the remaining olive oil in another large skillet and add the asparagus (reserve the tips). Saute for about 4 minutes, then add the tips and cook another 3-4 minutes until bright green and tender.
- When the rice is tender and most of the hot broth has been incorporated into the mixture, stir in the cooked asparagus, nutritional yeast, tomatoes, and fresh black pepper. Serve immediately.