An extra-large cornbread recipe for those with hungry mouths to feed. A bit of spice added by a roasted jalapeño and whole corn kernels make this the perfect cornbread recipe. Yum!
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups almond milk
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 roasted jalapeno, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Generously grease a 10 or 11-inch oven-proof skillet (preferably cast iron).
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir to combine well.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and vegetable oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir together until just combined. Add the corn and chopped roasted jalapeno and fold into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the skillet, then bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, then serve alongside your favorite chili or soup.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan, jalapeno, skillet, cornbread, cast iron